Coolload prides itself on the quality of the transport companies who subscribe to our service and we check all transport companies are licenced before allowing them to join. However, for peace of mind we recommend that load providers obtain some of the following documentation and information when using an unfamiliar company for the first time:

Copy of Goods in Transit insurance certificate, ensuring that the requiredlevel of cover is present and the goods are covered for deterioration in the event of the refrigeration unit failing etc. Please note that RHA 1998 cover only extends to £1300 per tonne. Most foodstuffs carried are valued considerably higher than this.

Copy of Operators Licence: ensure that it is up to date and has the correct business name etc. Check the Vat and Company Registration numbers.

Trade references: it is advisable to obtain two trade references, which will be from companies that the haulier regularly works with.

For international transport, ensure that the trailer used has a current FRC certificate. All fresh or frozen goods transported in Europe must have a current certificate.

You may also wish to establish the following:

The vehicle registration number. Do you require the vehicle to have a thermo printer to enable a temperature log to be provided at the delivery point?

Full contact details for the transport manager including office fax and telephone nos, out of hours nos., postal and e-mail addresses etc. You may also wish to know the mobile phone number of the truck driver.

Are back-up resources available? Does the haulier operate any other vehicles that could collect your load if anything went wrong with the scheduled vehicle.

If your load requires a ferry crossing, enquire which route and sailing time is being taken, as this may have a bearing on the delivery time.

If you have any concerns or questions , please feel free to contact Andrew O'Sullivan at Coolload on 02920 303618 or 07989 332 190 or email